Sunday, April 22, 2012

3 things that make you happy:
  • strawberries in my cereal
  • sunlit dinner with hubby on new patio set
  • friends' photos of the tulip festival
2 things you are looking forward to today:
  • mountain bike toodle at St. Ed's
  • completing more pages of our wedding book
2 long term things you are looking forward to:
  • sawdust free home
  • glass of wine on sunny evenings
1 person you are going to appreciate:
  • the U.S. nuns standing up to the Vatican & continuing their focus of all-inclusive social justice. As Sister Simone Campbell said to NPR (& Pastor Rich said on Easter Sunday): "The other thing that we know as women is, the women were the first ones at the tomb on Sunday morning. Women get it first and then try to explain it to the guys who - I mean, as the women did to the Apostles. So, we will try to explain it to the guys. We'll keep up our roles from the Scriptures."

1 comment:

Alan said...

Good for them.

Shortly after Benedict became pope, I came across a short article about him saying he intended to be a figure of moral leadership.

I snorted.

Then I felt guilty - it's one thing to disagree with certain stances of the Catholic church, but to actually snort at the idea of the pope being a moral figure?

I've often thought about that moment since, and I have generally concluded, that yes, the Catholic Church and the Pope himself are not just wrong about some things but in some cases they are not only immoral, but deeply immoral.

I believe that most people arguing against same-sex marriage oppose it because it is de facto a marriage between equals,

I believe that "traditional marriage" is de facto a marriage between non-equals, where the husband traditionally owns the property, traditionally makes the decisions, and may traditionally strike the wife if and when he chooses. Where the wife is the husband's chattel.

I believe that anyone that supports "traditional marriage" without explicitly excluding those traditions, and others like them, is immoral.

I believe that if you exclude all those abhorrent traditions, that it is no longer "traditional marriage."

I believe that the only moral position on marriage is to support marriage as being a union of equals.

I believe that the only practical way to demonstrate support for marriage as a union of equals - without a lot of weasel words that can never remove lingering doubt - is to openly support same-sex marriage.

It may be possible to find reasons that are not immoral, but I sincerely doubt that it is possible to come up with any coherent, complete, and concise argument and remain completely moral.

The Pope is not a moral leader.

The nuns have ascended to the moral leadership of the Catholic church, and deserve our greatest respect.